Be Encouraged and Find Balance

The role of a principal is rewarding, yet demanding.  It requires having the tenacity to deal with homecoming fun interrupted by fire drills, tears with a student who is experiencing more than they should in their teenage years while a teacher designs the most engaging lesson packed with technology all while phone messages are left and meeting requests pile on the already lengthy "to do" list that never turns into a "to done" list.  Most days are overwhelming and packed with more than any human being can accomplish, be encouraged...you are changing lives.

I love my role and stand firm on my belief that service in the field of education is the most rewarding profession in the world, except for being a mom! The mom role is a little slice of heaven and requires me to balance my life.  The struggle of family and career is way more difficult than I ever imagined and the needs that present themselves daily burden my mind, heart, and soul.  Over time I have learned the hard way that I must find the balance.  It was in my DNA to work 24/7, I grew up on a dairy and tobacco farm the oldest of three girls and there was never a shortage of work to be completed.  The difference is that the cows never had emotional breakdowns that required calls to their parents, Child Protective Services or mental health institutions.  Meetings and committees were not necessary on our family farm, our dad delegated the work quickly to one of three energetic young girls.  My experiences on the farm also revealed the stress of farming, depending on the weather, changing prices, navigating middlemen, banking on the hope of a unpredictable weather for a successful crop.  I watched my parents both find solace tilling soil, raking hay, or chopping corn for silage... there is truly something peaceful about breathing in nature, it changes your attitude.  It took me a long time to appreciate my roots in agriculture.

I went to college to get off the farm, I knew I didn't want to milk cows for the next 40 years. Changing lives was way more exciting and my heart kept telling me that I was destined to be in a school.  Making a difference would never be stressful, right?  I wanted to be like one of my favorite teachers who inspired me to pursue a career in education.  Mrs. Jerona White, she was always smiling and encouraging.  Just seeing her made you feel better and it is still the case today.  I still want to be a Mrs. White and I am still a work in progress.  The journey thus far has taught me a few things...

  1. Value your past, accept it, and use it to help yourself and others.  I run regularly in the afternoons to clear my head and find solace.  It is necessary and I often replay my entire day and find encouragement in those moments that I may have brushed over during the fast pace of the school day. 
  2. Balance is critical.  I previously would work all night on e-mail and school work, but a three year old toddler who repeats, "Mom, come play with me" has changed my priorities. Admittedly; I still am not the best at putting the work aside to play, but I am striving to find a better balance.  
  3. There will be rainy days, they are inevitable...but be encouraged as the sunshine will emerge soon.  
Being a a next generation leader requires you to find encouragement in the daily work and find a balance in order to sustain in your role overtime.  It is a unique perspective to be in the role of a principal, your view is unlike any other of school.  It is demanding and requires strength beyond what you ever imagined.  Be encouraged by your successes even when small and keep a balance.   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure

Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...