For Better Only

The tiny moment when you take a breath for a moment and realize how far we have come in the work.  It is not a surprise, implementing change is difficult and the story is written for better or worse. It moves forward faster than I can think somedays, it seems.  But, I am thankful to be at a point where I feel comfortable sharing our work at Eminence.  Today we hosted over 100 individuals from all over the country in our school and it felt great!  I do not want to ever speak for our team, but I think I can say that we have pretty much been at a dead run upon our marriage.  I arrived at Eminence, July 1, 2012 and the School on FIRE was stoked and ready.  There was no shortage of work and thankfully a team of individuals committed to making a difference.  I have said more than once, "we may be small, but we are mighty."

Today really felt awesome! Our team has struggled, stressed, and smiled at various times and today reiterated for the better that the instructional experiences being provided to students at "E" will forever change their preparation for college or career.  Innovation is built on creating better, we are creating a story for the better in Warrior Town for our Next Generation Learners.  To have guests visit and inquire about our process creates an element of encouragement.  These moments feel good and helps us focus on continuing the work.  Still...  I am learning that innovation is not the device; however, the utilization of the device to deliver personalized instruction certainly qualifies.  I am learning that Standards Based Grading is hard to process, but in the end it is right for students.  I am learning that teachers are amazing individuals who set the tone for learning in every classroom. I am learning that it is important to share with others what I have learned.

Our Commissioner of Education in Kentucky, Dr. Terry Holliday spoke today to the same individuals who visited our school, about the need for extensive educational change.  I always appreciate his candid and honest comments, but today he shared a quote that really struck me as I heard it stated, "Learning and Innovation go hand in hand.  The arrogance of success is to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow--William Pollard."  Chew on that quote for a while...for the better is and will forever be my focus for children.  When I lose that focus I pray someone will set me straight.  For now...for the better only.

In your journey remember...

1.  Focus on for the better
2.  Celebrate the small wins, always...they matter
3.  The struggle is worth the outcome





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure

Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...