Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...

On this day four years ago, Darrell and I were on a plane ride that would forever change our lives.  We were heading to Ethiopia to meet our daughter, our precious blessing from God.  A blessing that would likely not been able to happen without a focus on the heart from people who were unafraid of the world.  The ways of the world and political "bureaucrazy" are often enough of a reason to prevent us from being the change in the world.  You see, I am thankful for heroes like Dr. Martin Luther King who were stronger than both bureaucracy and the harsh world he faced.  

This morning the speaker for our school systems Unity Celebration in honor of Martin Luther King Day; Michael Chatman, spoke of being a gentle leader in the face of adversity.  He spoke eloquently on many of my own beliefs and it encouraged me that it truly is not an issue of blacks and whites.  It is in fact an issue of our hearts.  It is how we interface with others that speaks to the love necessary to move the world forward.  I have been fortunate in my own journey to learn from many on what working from the heart looks like on a daily basis.  His well known quote, "Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that," should inspire us all to love deeply.  It is hard and it is messy at times, but it is what matters most. Bringing our daughter to her forever home impacted not only our hearts, but many who fought with their own hearts to make it happen.  The prayers, support, and encouragement sustained Darrell and I through years of waiting as we were following the desires of our own hearts.  

The picture below is one we received while waiting. This picture with Halle and Darrell was the first time we met her in person.

Dr. Martin Luther King fought for his beliefs and followed his heart to change the world for what was right.  It is hard to believe that just a generation ago milestones were reached to begin equalizing rights.  It is also hard to believe that with all we know through our education systems, the work to achieve equalization must continue.  Today though, I celebrate for the strides that have been made over time.  I celebrate because my heart is full due to the work of Dr. Martin Luther King and many others throughout the course of history.  I celebrate because our own daughter, as an African female, can experience equality in education and have access to opportunities that would not be available had many, many, people not embraced the quote from Dr. Martin Luther King, " If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way."  All small steps forward lead to a greater result.  The road has been paved for each of us to contribute to making our world a better place.  I strive daily to make sure that what people have invested in me, is invested in others I serve.  Although I do not get it right every day, the sun continues to rise and provides me with a new day and a new challenge.  Remember, it does not have to be flashy, it does not have to be expensive, but it must come from the heart.  It must come from you and from me and when it does come from you and me this is the result (see photo below)...no prompting, no judgement, just love from the heart on our unity walk this morning.  


Dr. Martin Luther King, we are working on your dream, "I have a dream that one day little black boys and girls will be holding hands with little white boys and girls." I hope his heart is happy as he watches us from a far greater place than we we reside. Love to each of you on this special day as we celebrate the opportunity to serve others in the wonderful and free country where we temporarily reside.




  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure