Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today, I write my blog and smile.  I have wanted to write this entry for quite some time and today, well...today is the day.  Today at the chiropractors office I was told, "you are always so put together and are always organized."  I looked over my shoulder as I knew they could not be referring to me as I stood there in my UK shirt and purplish shorts that were far from being put together.  There was no way.

People, in the morning, I wake up hitting the ground running at 4:50 (after hitting the snooze button at least twice) most days with the song, "I Will Survive" playing in my head as these days in this work it feels like an episode of survivor on a pretty regular basis.  I always thought I was pretty tough, strong...I mean I was the oldest of three farm girls, my dad wanted three boys...so you can envision the rest.  He took no excuses and "suck it up" and "figure it out" were very frequent phrases heard by myself and my two sisters. Well, I did figure out that to get off the farm I needed options, so I got married and went to college, seems sensible at the time.  Nonetheless, both have worked out well thus far.

Then, I became a principal and I love what I do each and every day, I truly do...but wow the things I get to experience.  There are heartwarming moments and there are moments where I scratch my head in absolute disbelief.  I do love it, I only wish I had kept better notes up to this point, we would all be better people for that information.  

A few years later, I become a mother and well...that changed everything.  Oh my world, every single day is full and beautiful and tiring and exhausting and exciting and frustrating and at the end of the day, it is well. But, it isn't always easy and I am a human mess every single day.  The comment today was probably meant to be a compliment and it was nice to hear, but I quickly responded with a look over my shoulder and a chuckle as I know my world and I know it is messy.  In fact, I strike out almost daily as a mom and often state I am the most okay'est mother in America.  That stated,  I have confessions for you...

1.  I am an educator.  I love learning and here is Confession #1...we don't always do our homework.  There you have it.  Some days I just can't.  The sun, the swing, the pool, the love, just kidding... the exhaustion, the hangriness (you know that deadly combination of hungry and angry), the whining, people it is real and there are days I have to smile and move on.  The interesting part, get ready...the earth kept rotating and life as it turns out was ok.

2.  Many of you who know me, know that my cooking skills are less than stellar.  I have been known to cook pizza with the cardboard still underneath and tacos with the paper inside the shells.  There you have it, the secret to Darrell remaining slender during our 21 years of marriage.  While I am working hard to eat healthier (I have eaten asparagus and broccoli for the first time in the last two months), ya'll...it is hard.  Confession #2, sometimes I serve Lucky Charms as a five course meal for our six year old.  It has a lot of color in the bowl and is fun!  That counts for something, right?

3.  Having a pool is super fun now that Halle can swim AND Confession #3...it doubles as a bath sometimes and we don't use soap.  My premise is that I did this growing up and survived.  Sure, I may have gone to school smelling a day or two, but I made it and that validates the action of everyday survival from time to time.

So, momma's I have a new respect for you these days. I only have one child currently, but my sister has four...and is still sane (as of the last time I spoke to her last week).  This role of being a momma is hard, messy, and worthwhile.  I am human.  I am not perfect.  I am real.  I make mistakes. I love hard.  I have a lot more confessions, but we will just leave this here for today.  Friends, it is by the grace of God and only the grace of God, that I wake up each day and give it my best in His honor.

*I wrote this super fast and had no proofreader as he would not approve of publicly sharing this message via social media (much love friends).

Comments

  1. Shannon.....you are awesome!! And I too - understand the life of a "country girl" and how our "raisin'...." was probably quite different from many others. This was refreshing to read. I can relate to so much of what you have written about life, being a parent, and how sometimes we run wild as parents and sometimes we live day to day in survival mode..yet..we always give it our very best..because we love and cherish our loved ones so much! Keep on being AWESOME Shannon!! You are a shining star! -Dana Gibbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg! I have literally laughed out loud!! I can so completely relate and appreciate that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg! I have literally laughed out loud!! I can so completely relate and appreciate that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got a lot from dad! Suck it up and figure it out, that's pretty much what we do as parents. It's not always pretty, it's not always easy but in the end, it's what's best for them and if they are happy and healthy, it's a job well done. Never expect the best from your kids, expect them to try their hardest and show by example what going the extra mile and expecting more out of yourself looks like. They will figure it out. Given, this comes from a mom who's kids ask if I had a meeting of I'm not in "active wear" but "put together" means more then chic accessories and blown out hair, at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Very real...and, really...the pool isn't just a big tub? I thought chlorine was the same as soap!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon: I love this and I love you! I hope you know that I think the world of you! I feel sorry for each principal I've had since you because none have measured up. Many have been good, but nobody compares to you. You believed in me. You were one of the strongest females I've ever met. You took adversity by the horns, knew that you were right, and never compromised if a student was at stake. As a teacher, I didn't know the fights you fought for me and others. You protected me from unnecessary worry. Your leadership gave me empowerment and because of you, I feel like I'm a pretty strong teacher. I've been built from compassion and strong work-ethic, which I try to instill in my students. Because you are beautifully human, you have the ability to be so impactful. You are real. This world needs real. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure

Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...