Feeding Souls and Meaningful Shifts

It was time, I needed to make sure I was in-tune and staying connected to what the best schools in America are doing to meet the needs of their students.  I am responsible to the students I serve daily. Leaders must take the time to make sure they are collaborating and engaging with those who can make them better in their roles.  I look forward to learning and getting out of my comfort zone as I know it isn't about me, it is about the students who will have a better experience as a result of my learning and leading.

Last week I had the privilege to attend the Deeper Learning Conference at High Tech High in San Diego, California.  It was an amazing experience that gave credence to the passion I have for shifting the traditional school experience into a real world, meaningful, deeper learning experience that I believe is critical for every child.  I am a firm believer that every child should have the privilege to experience a meaningful education that they create, not one that is "done" to them.  Passively and compliantly sitting in a desk as we pour information out of our mouths into their ears, isn't going to cut it for this generation, and the students at HTH validated that for me over and over last week as I experienced their educational culture.

It was Spring Break for their teachers and students, but there they were swarming their buildings teaching and sharing with anyone who wanted to engage.  They had a pride in their experience that went beyond the school day.   They shared their hurdles and their success.  This community of learners was a breath of fresh air and it fed my soul.  Their transparency and collaboration with many was emphasized in every conversation.  I was encouraged and learned this:
  1. Passion is required, without this piece the work is just that...work and not a love!  Those with passion know that it is about more than a standardized test. 
  2. Being a learner is more important than the degrees you hold, the courses you have taken, or your years of traditional experience.  Those who spoke and shared never mentioned their credentials.  They spoke from their experiences in the trenches and focused on the next steps. They spoke of those they learned from and the books they utilized for their growth.  They surrounded themselves with learners focused on making on a difference for the future. They focused being a life-long learner. 
  3. Risk taking is required. 
  4. Learning happens when students are engaged in the process, really engaged...like building and creating stuff, real stuff that is useful in the real world and meaningful. 
  5. Standards don't prohibited creativity, people prevent creativity...having the right people on the team matters.  
  6. Community is necessary.  It takes a village. 
It resonated with me as I engaged in their conference that I was being fed through their sharing and my own learning connections.  I wondered how often the students I am responsible for daily really feel engaged, excited, and have desire to come to school.  I suspect I know the answer.  I fed my soul last week and am convicted more than ever that I am responsible for creating an environment that I would want for my own child.  Shift is required. Every day matters.  Feeding the passions of each of our students is a requirement for meeting the highest level of educational potential for each and every student.  Thank you to #DeeperLearning2016,  you reiterated what matters and fed my soul.  I vow to do the same daily in my work to serve students. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure

Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...