The Veteran's Among Us

My morning began with a young man entering the office in his clearly pressed and prepared army attire.  It nearly took my breath away as I sat thinking about what day it was and here was this young man, clean cut and proud standing in my presence.  I immediately thought in my mind, this is someone's son...they must be so proud.  He introduced himself as Brandon Lane and I then saw his name displayed on his shirt.  I knew this young man, but we had never met.  This young man is spoken of at Eminence with high regard.  During my time here at Eminence, I have heard this young man's name from time, enough that I recognized him based on stories.  Stories of hardship overcome by success.  I shared with him that while I did not know him, those who do are proud of him and especially one person particularly.  He went on to name Mr. Nethery.  He shared the impact that Mr. Nethery had on him in some of his most difficult times.  The first place this young man went when he entered the building was to Mr. Nethery's room, where he was reminded that Mr. Nethery was now serving as an Assistant Principal.  It was evident the impact that Mr. Nethery had on this young man. And now...this young man is giving his all to protect and serve, so Mr. Nethery can serve out his passion, children can get their education, and we can all enjoy life with many freedoms we take for granted on most days.  I would agree with Mr. Brandon Lane that Mr. Nethery is a pretty awesome guy.  There was more to say and it was the next line out of Mr. Lane's mouth that was the most important, "He (Mr. Chris Nethery) believed in me when I am pretty sure no one else really did."  Mr. Lane, you are pretty impressive young man and I am thankful for people like you who are willing to protect and defend OUR COUNTRY.  It was a pleasure to meet the young man mentioned in the many stories I have heard at Eminence about the kid who overcame.

By 8:00 the official Veteran's Day Ceremony had begun opening with a whole school recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance, followed by wonderful music provided by Ms. Maura Adamson and her choir.  Then we heard from Ms. Morgan Bullock, a social studies teacher who shared her own experience of committing to service in military.  She gave a wonderful background to Veteran's Day and shed tears as I thought...she too is somebody's baby girl.  Her family must be proud of her and her commitment to two unbelievably demanding professions.  I am so proud to have her as a teacher at Eminence, she inspires me and the best is yet to come from this young lady.  Ms. Morgan Bullock, thank you for sharing your heart today...and for your service to OUR COUNTRY!  

Followed up by a long-time teacher and friend who also served his country.  To look at Mr. Figgins most see his long hair and beard...I see a person who has a heart for people.  From his service to the United States of America to serving as a math teacher, he is a man of his word.  Mr. Figgins shared about his past and why he has a beard and long hair (except he left out that he cuts his hair for Locks of Love when it grows out).  He shared why he entered the service and the impact it had in his life. He also read the oath that is read by those who enter the Army.  Mr. Figgins is a selfless man that I respect in many ways, but mostly for his service to OUR COUNTRY.

Tanya Mitchell another teacher in our building was also recognized for her service.  It is pretty amazing to have three teachers in such a small building who have served OUR COUNTRY. Eminence is a pretty special place for so many reasons, this is one.

Will Yager, thank you for taking the time to arrange the ceremony.  As a first year teacher it was a new task and you handled it well.

To Mr. Brandon Lane, Ms. Morgan Bullock, Mr. Mike Figgins, Ms. Tanya Mitchell, and to all those who serve and have served this wonderful United States of America, I am truly forever indebted.  Thank you just does not seem sufficient for your service.

To all my former students who are now serving in various branches, I am proud of you too!  You make my heart full and I love each of you!

It was a day of honoring and remembrance for those who have given us freedoms that most days we take for granted but as the Billy Ray Cyrus song states:
All gave some and some gave all
And some stood through for the red, white, and blue
And some had to fall
And if you ever think of me
Think of all your liberties and recall
Some gave all  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure

Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...