Learning in the Struggle

The weeks ahead are going to be unpredictable, potentially hard as we navigate the unknown, and require patience as we experience a variety of emotions in this journey.  I often share with people a story of a time when my dad told me one evening, after a late-night in the tobacco field loading the wagons.  He and my sister went to start milking and he told me to back the wagon in the barn.  I immediately responded that I didn't know how to back a four-wheel wagon.  If you have not ever done it, it is very different than a two-wheel wagon.  His response I can still hear crystal clear, "I will see you when you get the wagon in the barn." I am certain I gave my signature teenage eye roll and I do remember shedding a few tears of frustration, but I backed that wagon in the barn that night. I don't remember how many times it took and I don't remember how late it was, but I still remember the feeling of accomplishment that I had once it was done. From that day forward, I was able to back a four-wheel wagon and I was good enough at it to win the local 4-H Large Tractor Competition which required you to, yep, you guessed it...to back a four-wheel wagon.  I beat all the boys and my dad was so proud of me that he took me and bought me a real John Deere hat at the local dealer that day.

As I prepare for the weeks ahead, I have no idea what to really prepare for at home or in my professional life.  It is going to require extreme flexibility, stress, patience, the pause I mentioned yesterday, and collaboration (while maybe virtually, the collaboration of everyone will be required).  There will be times we just have to push through and survive and times of leaning on each other to make it to the next steps.  I am hearing from many parents about their own fear of how to balance their work and keeping their kids at home for extended periods of time.  This is to be expected.  This is a different challenge than a snow day or two or a hurricane.  I don't have all the answers as we move forward, but here are a few elements to consider.

Parents, schools are reeling from this information as much as you are and there is no perfect answer.  Delivering education in this method is not going to look, feel, or yield the same results that we experience in our traditional environments.  My advice is to do the best you can under the circumstances.  It isn't going to be rainbows and skittles every moment; however, it can still be learning.  Now, it may not be learning Reading Standard 1.1.6.9.4.3, but working puzzles, playing board games, preparing food, cleaning up are all potential moments of learning that can be utilized in this time of uncertainty.  Be patient as educators wrestle with how to proceed.  Delivering instruction is hard.  Delivering instruction to children in twenty-five different environments will be an unprecedented challenge.  However, like backing that four-wheel wagon, we will figure it out.

I am a firm believer that education needs radical change and blended environments serve our students the best for their future endeavors.  While this is an opportunity to experiment...because let's be real, most schools are not prepared for this and it is going to be one big experiment, this will be mostly a time for learning as a result of trying different mechanisms.  We are not going to solve our educational deficiencies at this time, but we can learn.  Lest we also not forget, there are families with no access to technology or very little data plans that will not allow them to be on-line for extensive time periods or with large downloads.  There must be mindfulness on how we serve all families.  Public education is for everyone, not just those who have devices and data at home...if you fortunate enough to have the tools, be thankful and don't get "judgy" about those who don't, you haven't been in their shoes. Be mindful that when schools are making decisions on what to offer they have to consider every element.  Trust me, it would be much easier for everyone to just go to school; unfortunately, that may not be an option.

Educators, let's be real about this work and acknowledge we don't have all the answers. This is going to be a challenge, but we have a variety of resources available, leveraging them will be key.  Now is not the time to try every single free resource available.  It will be imperative that we vet the resources and keep it simple.  In the last few days, I have been inundated with free resources to the point that it is overwhelming.  I have had to step back and think through what we really need and determine my purpose, realistic expectations to achieve the purpose, and a plan for implementation (should our school be impacted).  Educators around this country will need to do the same as they approach potential unchartered waters.  The beautiful part, we will all be learning and developing empathy as we potentially develop "best practices" that we never would have considered without this struggle.

There is learning in the struggle.  The learning will be radical for both parents and educators.  In the meantime let's agree to:
  • to be patient,
  • have empathy,
  • pause before we shout or become a keyboard warrior on social media, 
  • share resources, and  
  • find learning in the struggle.
I am actually looking forward to supporting families and friends with the educational components of this journey in the weeks to come...my why today? Build a community of learners around this part of our journey and support families with their questions as we back this four-wheel wagon! 

Peace and love, Treece




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure

Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...