Confessions of a Principal Mother Round II

Life over the last six months has been a wonderful, beautiful, crazy, awesome segment of time in my professional and personal life.  I took on the role as principal of an elementary school in a brand new town being built in Babcock Ranch.  This role was 100% unexpected.  I have always desired to be an elementary principal, but I always LOVED serving at the high school level.  I believe my own struggles in high school (family loss on many levels from our farm to the divorce of my parents) stirred a fire in my own heart to provide support to others students who were battling their struggles while striving or struggling to meet the demands of the academic curriculum.  I often wonder how I have ended up where I am today. The truth...many good people have taken the time to invest in me over the years.  I could write lists of people who filled the gap while our family experienced varying levels of trials over the years.  Growing up I remember only a few times I was truly hurt or sad.  I believe this is the result of many people stepping in to ensure my success and emotional well being.    I am thankful for every single one of those people and I hope to be that person for the students and individuals I come into contact with on a daily basis.

Now that I am at the elementary level, I have officially served at all levels of the K-12 spectrum and I am now able to speak from each perspective.  I have quickly learned how very different each level is and more importantly how each level impacts the following.  Being an educator has allowed me to learn from the best that surround me on how to parent as well.  Parenting is not for the faint of heart.  The good days are wonderful, beautiful, crazy, awesome, but I have to admit...some days survival is a win.  I have learned some important component of parenting in the last few years and especially in the last few weeks.  It has reiterated for me the importance of accountability, respect, and having fun as I raise my own daughter.  How I respond now will impact the results later and I can 100% attest to those results.  This role has solidified my concern for the children we are raising and what they are growing into over time, parenting choices do matter (more on this at another time).

I have learned that parenting takes a village.  I know this, see it all the time, but in my own role I tend to beat myself up when I can't get everything completed I envision.  For those of us working mommas out there, we have to cut ourselves some slack.  There are days that I feel like I am rocking motherhood and being a professional and there there are days that when I take my first sip of coffee it ends up on my shirt, the heel of my shoe breaks off running out the door (of course on the day that I am already late), I forgot to hit send on an important email, and whatever else can possibly happen on a day that you need the least amount of chaos.

This week I will share a few more recent confessions of a Principal Mother.

Confession 1:  Our school is a uniform school (which I love).  I am guilty though of throwing a previously worn shirt in the dryer for a touch up for a second wear before washing.  A mom has to do, what a mom has to do.

Confession 2:  Most homework is done the night before it is due.  The intent is to get that work done early, but it never seems to fail that the night before panic is inevitable in my home.  Despite the fact I preach to students, have for years, will continue to do so...the struggle is real in our home.

Confession 3: We continue to use the swimming pool as a substitute for a bath at least one a week.

Confession 4:  I am the principal and I did not get our daughters school pictures ordered in time.

Despite all my necessary re-do's on a daily basis as mother and professional, I am thankful for my village. I am also thankful for the opportunity to serve in my newest endeavor as an elementary principal.  My experience this year has kept my passion for learning burning on high as I have had to rely on others to help accomplish the goals set forth in opening a brand new building.  I have found a tribe that loves children and learning and they never show fear in working outside the box.  In fact, they seem to thrive in our environment.  It encourages me to keep up my work and remember that the village is necessary no matter what stage of the game we are in professionally or personally.  My dream of being an elementary principal, opening a new building someday, working with an incredible team of professionals and being a mother are all a reality...but not without hardships.

Yes, life is messy and yes, I fail on a daily basis,  but at the end of the day I am smiling and that my friends is win.  Hang in there, lend a hand to those who need a step up, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!  You deserve it!  Much love and many smiles to each of you friends!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure

Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...