The responsibility to do what is right for students, even when it is hard...

The life of a leader requires a love for their work.  I love what I do on a daily basis and I am thankful  for the privelege to serve in a capacity everyday that impacts the lives of students.  Being a principal requires a love for the people you serve and I can think of no greater investment than children who will run the future and teachers willing to be in the trenches.  On the 30th anniversary of the explosion of the Challenger a quote from Christa McAuliffe seems appropriate, "I touch the future--I teach."  This commitment to education does require the leader to have a vision beyond tomorrow, beyond next week, and beyond next year.  It also requires accountability to monitor classroom instruction.  I have always believed that if I wouldn't want my own child, niece, or nephew in the classroom with a teacher, then why would I compromise for the children entrusted to my care within a school and when it happens...it is hard.

There have been only a few instances that I have had to respond to a teacher's ineffective classroom practices and none of them were comfortable, but I had a responsibility to respond to the needs of children first.  The love of a leader is like the love of a parent, it is hard sometimes.  It is hard to watch children in what should be a learning environment suffer due to instructional practices that are not up to par.  The struggle is real and one that when I have to visit, never gets easier.  It is hard knowing that your decision is going to impact someones livelihood.  It hurts like hell to be honest.  In the end though, we have a responsibility to those entrusted to our care and their educational experience, "in loco parentis" is real and I am not willing to settle on their behalf.

For those leaders who find themselves in this situation, I want to share a few thoughts:

  1. Focus on the long-term investment for children, remember...they will pay now or pay later if we falter in our responsibility.  
  2. Treat the individual with dignity and honor confidentiality.   
  3. Keep your head up, no one knows what was going on behind that classroom door better than the students and yourself.  Remain true to your love and honor your responsibility.
At the end of the day, month, year, and career...it is always about what is right for the students, even when it is hard as hell.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure

Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...