Coffee and Chocolate...in that order...

I am back for a moment at least...I still haven't figured out how to blog regularly, when it hits,  I share.  Today, it hit.  Today was a two cups of coffee and chocolate kinda day and I will be honest a third cup of coffee could have been helpful, but out of respect to those I love most in my environment I used my self discipline and ate chocolate instead.  The morning started off with a delightful parent who attended my "Sit Down with Shannon" session and made me shine as she shared how delighted she was with the teachers and supports in our school.  Let's be real folks... as a principal, rarely do we hear what is going right.  I have a lot of skill in positive self talk and utilizing sugar to balance the complaints.  Today though started off with a wonderful and positive parent interaction and my heart was happy.  She left and then the rest of the day would begin to unfold, not as I had planned in my head while getting ready (which is the case everyday, but I still always map out the perfect day every morning).  I met up with the Family Resource Youth Service Center representative for a home visit where I was to take papers and sign a student out of school who had not shown up in weeks. The pep talk had occurred in my head and as soon as he walked out onto the front porch I folded the papers in half and engaged in conversation around why he had not been coming to school.  When we ask we are obliged to listen, really listen and what I heard was frustration for a young adult truly trying to pursue his diploma.  While the student shared I realized that, while what I saw where minor issues, they were major issues from his perspective and he had no idea how to solve them.  He really believed by not showing up it would save everyone a headache.  My heart broke slightly and I shoved those papers in my pocket.  I told the student to put on shoes and get in the vehicle, we were going to school.  In the meantime we saw his sibling in the house who was dressed in nothing more than underwear.  The FRYSC official stated it was a school day and it was time to go. She said we are leaving in five minutes and low and behold in five minutes we had another one dressed and ready in the vehicle.  Off to school we went.  I couldn't help but think about what it took to get those children to school today.  It took us time to drive to their home, listen, provide support ideas to get over the barriers, and drive back to the school.  In that same morning we visited two different homes trying to track down parents of a student who had issues that would require action immediately.  We found no one.  I notified the superintendent the student I was taking papers to was back at school and I had a game plan for him.  I really from time to time need to be reminded to keep the main thing the main thing.  Upon arriving back at my office I told the administrative assistant that I had not accomplished anything on my agenda for the morning and thought to myself I just need another cup of coffee.  I sat down, grabbed a candy bar out of the drawer (I have an emergency stash), and realized that with all the initiatives that are awesome, we must always equip students with the skills to communicate and problem solve.  Every effort to improve is worthy.  Every child matters.  Every. Child. Counts. Every. Day...even if it takes a lot of coffee and chocolate. The work we do is worthy and positive relationships with students are what it takes.  Nothing will ever replace the relationship piece in creating a culture of learning.  They don't care how much you know, until they know how much care.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Confessions of a Principal Mother...Round I

Today was "THAT" Day and my HEART is Full Beyond Measure

Today is more than a black and white issue, it is an issue of our hearts...